Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Dear Friend Madeline

On Monday, January 31st Laura and I were blessed to be able to spend the day with our dear friend Madeline. Bill took us to Madeline's house in Lemon Grove. Paul and Bill visited briefly with Madeline and then they headed out for a day of birding.

Laura, Madeline and I headed to Rosecrans National Cemetery where we put flowers on several graves of loved ones. First we found the columbarium where Paul's Uncle Ivor Jones is interred. This is the first time we had found Uncle Ivor's place of rest to be able to put flowers there.  He was a favorite uncle and we have precious memories of him. Next we headed to Uncle Ellis Jones' resting place to put flowers next to his marker. Paul and I had been with family at Rosecrans when Uncle El had been placed in the new columbarium. Uncle El was loved by many and affectionately called Jonesy by some.

The reason for going with Madeline was in remembrance of her dear husband Stephen, who went to be with the Lord July of 2009. I wanted to go with Madeline at least this one time to visit Steve's final resting place. We were able to place flowers there for him and to sing a hymn. We know our dear friend is really with our Lord in heaven and there will be a great reunion with him one day. Madeline and Steve have always been such a blessing to our family. Their whole family is dear to me.

I have known Madeline since we were in third grade in Coronado. We graduated together from Coronado High School in 1955. Paul's cousin Sally Jones was in our class and I also met her in third grade. We had a number of classmates that went all through Coronado schools together. It is such a blessing to have Madeline as my extra special friend, my sister in the Lord.

After we put flowers at Steve's grave we found the place nearby in the columbarium wall where Madeline and Steve's good friend Jim was laid to rest. Madeline placed flowers there for him too. Next time I go to Rosecrans I will know where to find Stephen and our uncles. I have others that I would like to remember too. Mr. Sinclair, Arthur and Debra's grandfather is one. We were there in 1965 when he was buried at Rosecrans overlooking the ocean. I think that is the year as Arthur and Debra lost both of their grandfathers in less than a year. My Dad died in November of 1964 at the age of 53. So young. Mr. Sinclair was a lot older when he died.

When we were finished at the cemetery we headed to Liberty Station in Point Loma for lunch at The Tin Fish. We have enjoyed meals at The Tin Fish on the Imperial Beach Pier a number of times. Madeline was familiar with The Tin Fish near Pet Co Park in San Diego. The restaurant at Liberty Station is quite a bit fancier than the one on the pier. The food is the same enjoyable fish and chips that I have come to expect. We also got a free dessert for Madeline's birthday. The dessert was a Portuguese style donut with a fancy name that we could not remember. Point Loma is historically known for the Portuguese fishermen that settled there. There is a memorial to the fishermen on nearby Shelter Island.

Madeline and I try to always celebrate each others birthdays every year. One year I neglected her birthday and that was very short sighted on my part as she is ever faithful. Actually Madeline and Steve would do something special for Paul, Laura and me on each of our birthdays. We have enjoyed many  excursions with our dear friends on or near our birthdays. Otherwise we have enjoyed their hospitality in their home to celebrate birthdays. It is so comforting to me to have this special shelter of friends who are family to us.

After we enjoyed our lunch on Monday we headed to Coronado to visit Madeline's mother. She is a dear lady who is doing quite nicely for being in her nineties. I know how Madeline became such a nice person. She has a good example to follow.

I have another sweet friend in her nineties that I want to visit very soon. She also lives in Coronado and was even born in Coronado. I call her my "other mother".

Monday was a good day for Madeline, Laura and me. We finished the afternoon by a quick stop at the 99 cent store on the way home from Coronado. Paul and Bill were already home when Madeline brought us back to Rene Court. Then she had her drive back to Lemon Grove alone. Thankfully she has family next door and has an active lifestyle which is very good. May God Bless my dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment