Friday, February 25, 2011

Another Sweet Baby Girl

Paul arrived home from Korea after being there for a long sixteen months. It was a time of getting to know each other all over again. He soon started a new civil service job at a nearby Navy base, and I continued my job as a wife and mommy.

We always went to church together on Sundays. I also continued as a Sunday School teacher as I had been doing since I was sixteen years old. I enjoyed working with kindergarten aged children. At times over the years I worked in the nursery too. I had also been baby sitting since I was thirteen years old. My favorite job was at home with my little daughter Kathy and my husband Paul.

It was not long before I was expecting another baby. But I wasn't feeling as good as I should and soon found out that I had a large cyst on my ovary and would need surgery before too long. We did not have insurance yet so I went to what was then the County Hospital to have this surgery. I managed to make all the arrangements without the help of my husband or anyone else as I was pretty independent. Except that I needed the signature of an adult, as twenty year olds were not considered adults in that day and age. It was later that the age of becoming adults was lowered to eighteen.

I was brave as I faced this surgery and did not even choose to tell my pastor or anyone at my church what was going on. I did not yet know to lean on the Lord either. I didn't even tell my good neighbor till after the fact. I'm sure that my pastor and neighbor would have wanted to know what was going on. I now know that we need to share these things so others can walk with us through our trials, as well as pray for us.



I was not promised that the baby I was expecting would be saved, yet I was still brave. During the surgery the doctor removed a large cyst and a smaller cyst as well as one and a half ovaries. My baby survived the surgery. My husband was there for me as I recovered in the hospital. I was going through morning sickness as I did with each pregnancy, but it was more difficult when I had stitches to contend with too.

While I was in the hospital I remember a sad time for everyone in the large ward we were in. One real sweet lady had heart failure while recovering from her surgery and she died. I remember all the nurses and doctors surrounding her. I believe this lovely lady was a Christian.

I did not have to worry about who would care for little Kathy while I was in the hospital as there were willing grandparents nearby. Since both of my parents worked we had Paul's parents care for Kathy. She had her second birthday while she was with them that August of 1957. She got all the proper attention from her loving grandparents. Their home was always a stable place to be for each child that came along in the following years.

The months rolled by and on March 18, 1958 I again entered the hospital to deliver our sweet little Laura Elizabeth Marvin. She was exactly seven lbs. This time I was at Mercy Hospital in San Diego. I think it was my Aunt Clara that took me to the hospital. Paul had been at work, but he soon arrived at Mercy Hospital to be with me. I got to the hospital in the morning and had our baby girl in the early evening.  My mother and father came to take me home a couple of days later. On the way home from the hospital  we stopped by my father's cousin Ethel's house to show off our baby. She and her husband  lived on Fifth Avenue just south of Mercy Hospital. This was the beginning of a tradition with our babies.

I got what I wanted when I had both of our baby girls. I enjoyed them and always read to them as they got older. Laura especially loved a certain book in our Childcraft set of children's books. She called it her "Nanny Book" as there was a poem about a nanny that she loved. I wish I had the book now to quote from, but it was given to the next generation to use. Hope they still have it. Holding little Laura close and rocking her with book in hand is a sweet memory. If only I had done this even more with all my little ones. We can't do this too much. Housework can wait, but babies grow up too fast.

I consider Laura to be my miracle baby as it is amazing that she survived my surgery when I was so early in my pregnancy with her. I did not really think I would have any more babies either. After she got older I got rid of the beautiful old fashioned baby buggy that I had for her. If I had only kept it I would have put it to good use. God had more blessings for us in years to follow.

We had one special item that was used for all of our babies. The bassinet that Paul and his brother slept in was also the one we used for our babies. It was used for three generations plus other babies. It is an old fashioned wicker basket with stand. I still have it and was hoping for it to be used again by the next generation. The cats can use it for now.

The following is one of the poems Laura enjoyed from her favorite book. A few words could be different than I remember, but it is the same poem.


The Cupboard
by Walter de la Mare

I know a little cupboard,
With a teeny tiny key,
And there's a jar of Lollypops
For me, me, me.

It has a little shelf, my dear,
As dark, as dark can be,
And there's a dish of Banbury Cakes
For me, me, me.

I have a small fat grandmamma,
With a very slippery knee,
And she's Keeper of the Cupboard,
With the key, key, key.

And when I'm very good, my dear,
As good as good can be,
There's Banbury Cakes, and Lollypops
For me, me, me.

No comments:

Post a Comment