Friday, May 6, 2011

My First Mother's Day

In May of 1956 I was looking forward to my first Mother's Day. Paul was in Korea and would not be home to celebrate this special day with me. In fact he would be away until the following spring. Kathy had been born in August of 1955 and her daddy had only seen her on two short visits home. It would have been a lonely time for me, but I had my family nearby and I kept busy. I loved being a mother despite my very young age. I was just eighteen years old when Kathy was born. I was nineteen that December.

My sisters were often with me and enjoyed the role of being aunts. Donna and Betty were in high school. Donna was a senior and Betty was a sophomore at Coronado High School. Donna had some friends that were planning a bridal shower for one of her good friends. Since Donna was at my house more than she was at home with Mom and Dad she invited her friends to use my house for the shower. My sisters and I did not do anything to get into trouble. In fact we went to Sunday School and Church. We did not drink or smoke. We may have tried these things at one time, but we did not enjoy them.

It was the evening before Mother's Day when the shower was held at my house. I barely knew Donna's friends. They planned an after shower party too and that didn't sound good to me, but I was promised all would be well. The bridal shower went well. Then a bunch of friends of Donna's friends showed up. I was not outspoken as I would be now days. I was intimidated by these people. And I had laryngitis so could barely speak. I hid out in my room. There was only a curtain for a door between the front room and my bedroom so I was aware of the drinking. When they started throwing up I gained enough strength to say "get out of my house."

My neighbors certainly did not appreciate what was happening. I think somebody even called the police. They would not have known I was an innocent victim in all of this. The police may have talked to some of the kids outside, but I was not approached. Actually some of the kids knew the police so nothing happened. I'm not discrediting the police though, as I don't know for sure what took place. The next morning I saw evidence of the drinking in my yard. What would my neighbors think of me now? I never knew.

The next morning I got up as I did every Sunday morning and got little Kathy and myself ready for church. It was my first Mother's Day. I was not about to miss church.

Over the years I was impressed with the mothers being honored on Mother's Day during church. There would be flowers for the mother with the most children. There were flowers for the oldest mother. And there were other honors including the youngest mother. I just knew I would be honored for being the youngest mother. How could anyone else be the youngest mother there that day? I was also faithful in being there. I was even there on a day that I was sick with a sore throat. I had to be there. It was my first Mother's Day.

You can probably see this coming. The mother with the youngest baby got the flowers instead. My baby was eight months old. There was a mother with a new baby and she was recognized. I was hoping nobody realized that I was disappointed. I wanted to save face. I guess I was cool about it. My moment was not to be. Hopefully I learned something positive in this experience.

As I got older I knew not to expect laurels for just doing my job. The best I can receive is knowing my children appreciate me. It is an honor to be the mother of my four dear children. It is an extra blessing to be a grandmother and a great grandmother. Love to each one. Hugs  :)

1 comment:

  1. I can so identify with your church experience. When I first became a new mom that is something I had hoped for too - the prize and recognition. As I grew up, like you, I realized that those things are not important - but my role as Mommy is. How wonderful to look back on these growing experiences and see how God has worked in our lives and used these lessons to help us on this journey. Hugs, Caroline. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete