Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Reflections on Friendship

We all have such unique and various personalities. Some of us are ready to make friends with people we have never met before, and others are much too shy to be the first to speak. I guess most of us fall someplace in between these two extremes. I have been shy at times but that is not my usual stance. My mother never knew a stranger as she was ready to speak to anyone who would listen. I'm somewhat like that as I am interested in many of the people I encounter in my daily activities. I have made new friends over the years. I also stay in touch with those I have known for years.

There are people I know who are somewhat shy but they can be friendly if given the chance. Some just don't know what to say to keep a conversation going, but they want to be part of the action. Some are just waiting for us to draw them into our conversation.

Do you ever look at a class picture and wonder about the quiet student that was in each picture over the years, but you did not know him or her? Maybe that classmate had been there since kindergarten but you had never spoken to her. She may have had a few friends but you had no idea one way or the other. You were busy with your own friends and activities. The shy student was not your concern.

I have more than one example of this. When I meet someone who graduated a certain year, and I mention someone I know from that year, and they have no idea who I'm talking about, I am disheartened. I try to say something to help the discomfort, but nothing really makes a difference. 

Was I one of the unaware participants in neglecting a fellow student? One of my classmates wrote in the 50th reunion memory book that she didn't have any good memories from high school. What a sad commentary. I feel bad for her. Could I have made a difference if I had not been wrapped up in my own circle of friends. And I had problems of my own to deal with. But I always had friends and do have good memories.

I know more than one person not interested in going to high school reunions as their experience in school was not so great. I was sometimes hesitant to go to reunions and missed some, but I wish I had gone to more reunions. I was not one of the in crowd but I never lacked for friends so don't know why I was apprehensive about going. I could understand if I had been without friends and was hesitant to go. I have enjoyed each reunion I have attended.

My sister Donna enjoys reunions, but she likes all parties. Classmates do remember her. Who could forget Donna McDonaugh? I met one of her classmates recently and of course he knew who she was. I met a classmate of my other sister and he had no idea who I was talking about. Betty had been in Coronado since kindergarten. I know she had some friends. She may have been shy though. She did not get to go to any reunions because she lived too far away and never got any information about them. Betty had hoped to go to her 50th reunion though, but died the year before.

My daughter Kathy may have been shy but she had a kind way about her. I like to brag about something she did that is very special in my book. She was a good friend to one of the most picked on girls in the whole school. I don't know what started it, but Sherry was the victim  of a lot of mean actions. Now days the schools make a big deal about bullies, but maybe they did not know what was happening to Kathy's friend. I don't know what made me powerless to say something. Some things were so subtle though.

So that quiet or shy student may be someone that you would want in your corner when you are without hope.

"Be kind to one another"


No comments:

Post a Comment