Monday, November 1, 2010

More Halloween Memories

We didn't get a lot of trick-or-treaters last night, but enjoyed the ones who came to our door. Since we have lived in this house since 1973 we have known several generations of children in this neighborhood. In recent years I have been taking pictures of the children we know that come to our door on Halloween. I sometimes miss getting a picture of some I don't recognize in their costumes. Some I mainly recognize because they are with their parents. They come at all ages as the older children bring their younger siblings.

I like taking the pictures for my own album and also to enclose in Christmas cards to our neighbors. The children are used to me with camera in hand on Halloween, but there are various reactions by the little ones.  Last year little Bridget must have already had enough pictures taken of her costume as she broke out in tears and headed home. Her older brother and sister were used to me taking their pictures so they stayed for treats and pictures. Later on that evening Bridget was back for treats, but no picture. This year all went well and she smiled for the camera. This is one of the families I have known since their mommy was a baby.

The children come in elaborate costumes, lovingly put together. Probably most come from a store but a lot of talent goes into the finishing touches. When my children were little we had two clown costumes that were shared by all over the years. Most years we used various items of clothing and our imaginations for good old fashioned characters. There were fat people, tramps, ghosts and one child wrapped in bandages (torn sheets) like he had been in an accident. This was pretty much the type of costume my sisters and I would have put together. Of course we enjoyed having masks too.

When my children were older my oldest daughter made an adult sized clown costume that we used for many years. One of their friends borrowed it and got the prize for best costume at the party he went to. I enjoyed wearing the costume a few times for the trick-or-treaters. My favorite disguise was the nose and glasses I wore with whatever else I had chosen for my costume.  As long as I didn't speak nobody knew it was me.  That was fun.

We can continue to have fun even as we get older. In many ways I'm young at heart and do not feel like I'm going to be 74 in a month. Yet I love the fact that I'm a grandmother and will be a great grandmother before the year is over. Wish I could give all my children and grandchildren hugs right now.

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven". Matthew 18: 3

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Caroline!!! I'm a child at heart, sometimes too! :)

    ReplyDelete