Thursday, November 4, 2010

Grandparents

When I sit reading the Bible I am reminded of my Grandma who I always think of as having Bible in hand when she wasn't working. I learned Bible stories at her knees, or in her Sunday School class as she taught many a child. My Mother's parents were good examples of lives lived for Christ. They took more than one family of children under their wings, including my two sisters and me. During World War II my parents worked in Portland, OR while we stayed on our grandparents farm near the Canadian border. I have always had the warmest place in my heart for my grandparents. And I would love to be known as caring for others as my grandmother did, with Bible in hand.

Our other grandparents were also there for us when we lived in Coronado. My Dad's mother was a sweet lady and the house she lived in for close to 40 years in Coronado brings back precious memories. My family lived in a section of that house for a number of years. And later during my teen years we lived next door and used Grandma's phone. Not everyone had a phone of their own in those days. If our friends or baby sitting jobs called for us Grandma or my Aunt or Uncle had to come next door to tell us we had a phone call. I was always blessed with grandparents and other family nearby.

My children had all their grandparents nearby during their years in Coronado, much like Paul and his brother did. I wish my grandchildren could be nearby. They lived in San Diego while their Dad was in the Navy, when they were very young. I loved having them nearby to be able to care for them. I hope I have been a good long distance Grandma for my girls.

1 comment: