Sunday, October 31, 2010

Childhood Halloween Memories

Since I have been enjoying writing about my family and events in our lives I was encouraged to begin a blog. As I am writing these first sentences the neighbor children are coming to the door trick-or-treating.

I don't remember trick-or-treating until I was about nine or ten years old. We moved back to Coronado after a few years on my grandparents' farm in Washington state when I was in third grade. I don't recall anything about Halloween from my years on the farm. We lived in Portland, Oregon for the first half of third grade and I don't think we went trick-or-treating that Halloween. But I do remember Halloween in Coronado.

We had a Halloween parade down Orange Avenue with all the children in costumes. The parade started at the large Christmas tree at Isabella Blvd. and Orange Avenue and we headed north on Orange. I don't recall if we ended the parade at the school or another location-maybe the football field. When my children were little the parade was just at the football field which was Cutler Field. Since there were festivities on Halloween it was the tradition for many years in Coronado to trick-or-treat the night before, on the 30th.

I remember a neighbor had a party for us children one year. That may have been when I was in fourth grade. My sisters and I appreciated events such as this, spooky story and all. One activity of the party was trick-or-treating on our block. I remember at least one party at our Sunday School too and bobbing for apples.

I'm sure the children that got to go to the Fall Festivals at the different neighborhood churches would take some of the memories home with them and tell their families about the fun time they had. If they received Christ's love from the people of God I'm sure hearts will be touched.

Hugs to each one reading this.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing with us, Caroline. :) I too have many fond memories from my childhood trick or treating and fall events. Thanks for bringing them to mind and for putting our focus back on the One who makes all things possible. Hugs back!!

    ReplyDelete