Friday, September 30, 2011

To Two Too Much

Our English language is a challenge for so many people, not just those who are new to our country. There are so many sound alike words that seem to confuse and confound. They're in a quandary between their and there. Two times the confusion between to and too. It is bye-bye to a decision between buy and by. I struggle with lie, lay, and laid. Whether to say who or whom is also one I can't decide. Which reminds me of whether and weather. The list can be long. I think I usually make the correct decision. Do not say right if you are giving directions and are trying to tell them to go left. I learned the hard way that it is better to say correct rather than right. We ended up going the wrong way at a most difficult moment during a trip when I made the incorrect choice of words.

More will pop into my head before too long. This can get to be too too much. Not to or two much. What things have you seen others struggle with? We don't address something too somebody. We do write to the person. I did not do great in English, yet I can spot some things at a distance. I could not understand all the parts of a sentence, but I was good in spelling. I would not do great in a spelling bee though as I need to see the words and many are just too difficult. Notice I said spelling bee as it is not a spelling be.

There are words that are spelled the same way with different meanings. There is the name Bill as opposed to bill collectors. We wave to people and there are waves on the beach. I was just reminded of your and you're to be careful with when writing. There is fairy and ferry boat. I almost wrote their instead of there. I'm sure you can add to the list. I am now reminded of ad and add.

With some words the question is whether to write le as in puzzle and table or el as in angel. Of course there is also angle. Course and coarse can confound me at times. What a tangled web I weave. I guess I have dealt with this long enough. Just thought I would have some fun.

1 comment: