Tuesday, September 6, 2011

September Songs

There is something about September. It was always the beginning of the school year with signs of autumn in the air. We may not have obvious seasons in San Diego but there are small changes that we can be sensitive to. There are trees that change color to remind us of the season that is upon us. The colors are lovely and remind us of the beauty of God's creation.

I am reminded of my grandmother whose birthday was on September 6th. I do not remember the year of her birth, but she was in her eighties when she went to be with the Lord sometime in the sixties. Pearl Elizabeth Davenport, my mother's mother, lived on a farm and took my sisters and me under her wings for a few years when we were little. Grandma and Grandad loved the Lord and each other. They were both loved by family and many friends. Grandma lost her dear husband in the early fifties. We had last seen them right after Christmas in 1949 when I had just turned thirteen years old. Kathy and I got to see Grandma in 1956 when Kathy was one year old. So Grandma saw one of my babies.

On September 6, 1997 we have another time to remember. We were shocked when my brother-in-law Sam Hamilton died suddenly of a heart attack and left my sister a widow on this day in September. Sam was only fifty-five years old. Betty and Sam's children were even more shocked than I was when they lost their Dad. This was also a day the world was remembering Princess Diana as it was the day of her funeral.

My mother's birthday was September 16th. She was a farm girl from Washington state. She came to California as a young lady soon after she graduated from 'normal school', aka teacher's college, a two year school. She had relatives who were teachers so I guess she had been encouraged to consider teaching. In California she accepted the jobs available to her. She was always a hard worker and took a job as a housekeeper. She soon met Gene McDonaugh and they became serious and got married in 1935. They had three daughters of which I am the oldest.

Mom became a widow in 1964 when Dad was only fifty-three years old. She continued housepainting as she had done for many years with Dad. She eventually married her second husband and they enjoyed traveling to see family each year. Mom also helped Frank with selling produce from his truck for a number of years. They knew famous people that they sold produce to, including Desi Arnez. Mom became a widow again when she was eighty years old in 1993. Mom lived until May of 1996, on Mothers Day weekend. Over the years Mom had been everything from a wife and mother to 'Rosie the Riveter', as well as house painting with Dad and selling produce and driving the truck for Frank.

We have other September birthdays in our family including my brother-in-law Fred Guapo. My sister Donna's husband, Fred, will celebrate his 66th birthday on the 24th. It is my pleasure to have Fred as part of our family. Fred is another hard worker and is focused on selling properties in the Los Angeles area. I think he can drive L.A. in his sleep as he not only drives the freeways every day, he grew up in Los Angeles. He is also the father of one son, Freddy.

Donna became a mother September 29, 1957 when her son Arthur Louis Sinclair was born. At that time I became an aunt. A year and a day later Debra Marie Sinclair was born making Arthur be a big brother. Laura fits right in the middle of Arthur and Debbie. She was born in March of 1958. Arthur and Debra and my children were close as cousins can be and spent much time together during the earlier years. Seems like Arthur was often involved in my sons' adventures.

We remember Arthur all through the year especially in the month of his birthday and again in January. He has been missing since January 20th of 1994 when he was last seen. His mother and sister especially miss him. He has children that did not get to know him and are missing a father in their lives. He has a wife who helped Donna report him as missing in 1994. He has a father that I'm sure misses him. He had grandmothers that missed him when he first disappeared. I miss my nephew and I'm sure my children miss their cousin. I'm sure other cousins miss Arthur too.

Arthur and Debra fought and loved each other as siblings do. Even as they fought I'm sure they were the best of friends. They were so close in age that Donna actually had two babies at the same time. One year and a day apart, they were almost like twins. September babies.

Another September baby in our family was our first granddaughter, Rebecca Jean Golden. Kathy and John got married September 3, 1983 and just celebrated their twenty-eighth anniversary. Kathy was twenty-eight when they got married. So she has been married half of her life. On September 27, 1984 Kathy and John welcomed their first daughter, Rebecca. We call her Becky. She will celebrate her twenty-seventh birthday this month. Becky has a big brother Michael and a sister Melissa. Kathy is the step mother of Michael. He was seven years old when his dad married Kathy.

Becky is now married to Jason Van Maanen. We call him Jay. They are the parents of baby Jacob who was born in December.

In September we think of trips to the mountains to see the fall colors. We may have to save our trips to the mountains for October when our son Bill will be here. We enjoy the calls and songs of birds when we are with our son. We also enjoy their colors as they blend into the scenery around them.

September songs can be birthday songs or back to school songs. We have had wedding songs in September also.  We have more friends and family with September celebrations to remember. I send some birthday greetings by mail and some by computer. And if I call to give my greetings I may even get brave and sing a song.

No comments:

Post a Comment