Saturday, January 14, 2012

Milk of Magnesia

As a child I hated Milk of Magnesia more than you can imagine. There were not too many things that I disliked, but that was one thing I could not stand. I suppose it was the texture rather than the flavor. I was reminded of it just now as I was swallowing some Pepto Bismol. I had a tummy ache and thought it might help a little. Pepto Bismol is not much different than the one I used to hate so much, but it does not have the same memory for me.

My mother was convinced that Milk of Magnesia was the cure all so I was faced with having to swallow it on more occasions than I care to remember. One time she thought she could outsmart me and decided to sneak the hated stuff in the biscuits that she was baking. I'm not kidding. She really did this. Problem was that I was the only one that could stand those biscuits. Like I said, I liked most things that resembled food. So I ate the biscuits that no one else wanted. I doubt that they had any of the benefits of the hated Milk of Magnesia after they had been baked. But this made for a humorous memory.

I don't know if I was the cause of any such memories for my children. I would hope not, but I have heard how much certain foods were disliked that they were faced with eating. I guess all parents are faced with these things as they try to do their best. I found out where some of the food went that they chose not to eat. After our old dog was gone I found scraps on the floor that had been a good meal for Henrietta while she was with us. No wonder Henrietta was a fat little Dachsund.

No comments:

Post a Comment